Learn about the strange and unusual signs of labor that other women have experienced days to hours before their water breaking or going into full labor.
I have a confession.
When I’m pregnant, I’m on Google all the time! It’s not a healthy habit. I’m convinced you can find anything you want online. If you have an ingrown toenail, you can probably find someone, somewhere, that will tell you it’s cancerous. I’ve learned to take online forums and non-medical articles with a grain of salt.
But, that doesn’t stop me from being curious. I have spent countless hours on tons of pregnancy forums reading about women’s experiences with strange and unusual signs of impending labor. For one… I’m ready to be done. Two, I didn’t go into natural labor with my first born and am holding out hope that I will go into labor on my own with this one. I want to go through it at least once. I want to time the contractions and anxiously pack a hospital bag and get everything ready.
So, I guess I’ve been a little obsessive with labor stories lately.
This post is for fun and kind of a follow up to my 20 Uncommon Signs of Pregnancy posts. I am not a medical expert, nor can I predict when I or anyone else is going to go into labor. Don’t take any of these unusual signs of labor too seriously, as they were all gathered from forums and articles around the web, and there is no scientific backing to them.
Strange and Unusual Signs of Labor
- Nesting or a desire to clean and organize your home. This may also be accompanied by a surge of energy that was previously not there.
- Stomach flu-like symptoms in the days leading up.
- Peeing all day long.
- Intense leg pain. Some women describe the pain as a cramp, usually in their upper thighs.
- Out of the blue acne.
- Headaches and migraines.
- Weight gain slows way down or stops altogether.
- Pooing A LOT. Some women say they were on the toilet 5-7 times in the days leading up to labor.
- Being able to sleep like a baby… or your husband, for the first time in months.
- Your intuition is telling you that labor is near.
- Crying or being over emotional about everything.
- A sudden strong desire to bake or cook a lot of food.
- Dogs act super protective or become overbearing.
- Breasts suddenly feel very large and full and nipples may be tender to the touch.
- Getting super gassy.
- Your nose changes shape or gets bigger.
- Reduced or no appetite.
- Food cravings. Many women suddenly craved sweets or spicy food after not being able to tolerate them throughout their pregnancy.
- Sniffling or getting a runny nose.
I’m currently suffering from acne and wanting to eat all the cookies on Earth. Who knows, maybe she’ll be here ver soon, or maybe I’ll be waiting another couple weeks. I know baby will come when baby is ready, but let’s face it, by 38/39 weeks most of us are well past the point of patience.
What were your unusual signs of labor? Did you have any, or was labor a complete surprise with no lead-up? If you are nearing the end of your pregnancy, which of the above signs have you experienced.