I’m working on time management. The older I get, the more sleep I need– if I’m not in bed by 10pm, you can guarantee I’m going to be a hot mess at work the next day. That gives me a little under 9 hours for everything except work. Mornings are filled with blogging shenanigans, a little homework, and then getting Syd up and ready. Evenings are left for everything else. And sometimes I don’t want a time consuming dinner to be part of that everything else. So instead of Philly Cheesesteak Soup, I decided today would be one of those days quick dinner days, and I was going to make pizza sliders on Rhodes buns I had in the freezer.
I pulled the rolls out of the freezer, placed them on a baking sheet, covered them in plastic wrap, and set them in the fridge. Wellll, I pulled them out about 4pm and I could see the hunger radiating from Chris. In an attempt to make my rolls rise faster, I stuck them in the over at 190F, and nearly baked them. Fail. Time for Plan #2. I had a loaf of French bread from a few days back that I was supposed to serve with Beef Stroganoff, so why not? French bread pizza.
I had no idea how long this would take or how well it would turn out and it was pure luck that this came out as awesome as it did on my first try. If it wasn’t perfecto, with the Italian kiss and all, I wouldn’t share it this soon, but it was. Chris ate half a loaf of French bread, and for my own dignity I won’t tell you how much I ate, but I will tell you there is about a two inch slice leftover for lunch tomorrow.
This seriously took under 10 minutes from start to finish. I melted butter in the microwave, added some Italian seasoning and garlic powder to it, spread it over the insides of both halves of french bread, and broiled it for about 3 minutes.
After I pulled out the golden garlic greatness, I spread on pizza sauce, and then added some shredded mozzarella and pepperoni. It went back under the broiler on high for another 3 minutes, and it was done. Yeah, that fast.
Oh yeah, and it’s a great recipe for the little to help with. Syd added all the cheese and pepperoni (I rearranged a few for the sake of photography). She had so much fun and was that much more interested in eating it after it cooked.
French Bread Pizza Recipe
Time: 10 minutes
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 loaf french bread, sliced in half long ways
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 package Pepperoni
- Turn broiler on high. Melt butter in a small dish. Add Italian seasoning and garlic powder to melted butter. Spread the butter evenly on the inside of both halves of french bread.
- Broil french bread on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Watch it carefully and allow it to get a nice golden brown color.
- Remove french bread from oven, top each half with pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni respectively.
- Return to oven and broil for another 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melty and pepperoni becomes shiny. Remove french bread pizza from oven, slice into 4-6 pieces and serve immediately.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends on social media!